Mmusi Morekhure approached actress Elzette Maarschalk in 2007, and asked her to be the Gaabo Motho Tenors' manager, and to help them find their feet in the performance industry in South Africa. Elzette, who was already managing singer Joseph Clark, declined at first due to her own acting, producing and directing schedule, but after attending the tenors' Valentine's concert in 2007 and being impressed by Mmusi's persistence, she gladly accepted. "Besides their musical talent, they have the charisma of top performers, connecting with an audience and winning them over with their innocent charm, charisma and stage presence." She started incorporating them into Joseph Clark's performances to introduce them to audiences in the corporate, as well as the commercial market. The tenors were immediately embraced by all audiences. In the last few years the Gaabo Motho Tenors have performed at a variety of commercial, charity and corporate concerts in South Africa, Uganda and Germany.
PAST Corporate-, Commercial- & Television Performances
- 6 Feb. - corporate performance for O'mage
- 15 Feb. Launch of the new Ferrari FF with Joseph Clark and Jannie Moolman
- 15 March performance for UNISA
- 23 March performance for ESKOM at Midrand Conference Centre
- 27 March performance for VISA/BOE Charity Function at Munro Hotel in Jhb.
- 25 April - City of Tshwane Tourism Awards at the CSIR
- 12 May Awards Ceremony for the Nurses' Council at Eutopia Place
- 26 & 27 July Guest Artists in The QUEEN Experience with Joseph Clark at The Atterbury Theatre in Pretoria.
- 7 Sep. Mmusi Morekhure and Tebogo Makgwe perform for ESKOM in Rustenburg
- 14 Sep. North West University's Alumni Function with Joseph Clark at The Emerald Casino.
- 21 & 23 Sep. Guest Artists in a concerts at The Aula with Joseph Clark and the UP Symphony Orchestra
- 12 Oct. Concert for Momentum with Joseph Clark in the Namibia desert.
- 22, 23, 24 Oct. Guest Artists in The QUEEN Experience with Joseph Clark at The Atterbury Theatre in Pretoria.
- 30 Oct. TUT function at Atterbury Theatre, Pretoria
- 1 & 5 Nov. performances for Polokwane University of Limpopo at Maropa Casino and in Johannesburg
- 8 Nov. performance for ESKOM in Johannesburg
- 28 Nov. School Year End Dinner at Misty Hills
- 1 & 8 Dec. Christmas Concert at Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens by Phenye Modiane
- Car Of The Year function at Gallagher Estate on 9 March
- Charity Performance with pianist, Kate Borthwick at Wakkerstroom Arts Festival on 19 March
- Carmen Opera Africa at State Theatre in Pretoria on 18,20,22,24, 26 March and Joburg Civic Theatre on 1,3,6,8,1 April
- Dermatology Congress at CSIR on 30 April
- Performance for CIPS Gala Dinner at Theatre of Marcellus, Emperors Palace on 25 May
- Performances with Joseph Clark in Kings of Queen at Uplands Festival, Whiteriver on 27 & 28 May.
- Performance with Joseph Clark for FINMEDIA at TOTT on 31 May
- Soloists for Dance for a Cure on 5 & 13 Aug.
- Ama Opera for SARS on 19 August at Theater On The Track
- Singing USA & SA Anthems at US Embassy in Pretoria.
- Puttanesca Italian Restaurant in Pretoria on 20 Sep.
- 30 Sep. they did a performance in a big stadium in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- 6 Oct. they did a performance for TUT at Misty Hills.
- 14 Oct they performed with Joseph Clark for ESKOM at Emperor's Palace
- On 15 October they performed at Monte Casino for Chichi Maponya from The Maponya Group.
- For Opera Africa at The Linder Auditorium in Jhb. on 26 && 27 Oct
- University of Limpopo Vice-Chancellors Research Excellence Awards at Utopia Place in Pretoria on 1 Nov
- 11 Nov for Momentum
- 12 Nov for Hilton Epstein Advocate && Judges at Mastrantonia Restaurant, Jhb.
- 25 Nov at SA Golf Championships for DLAMINI WEILL with Joseph Clark.
- Opening of new Southern Sun Hotel at Monte Casino on 6 May.
- Lethabo Power Station Managers' Awards, Vereeniging on 23 July.
- ESKOM Managers' Awards, Theatre On The Track at Kyalami, JHB on 29 Jul.
- Performance for TUT Gala Dinner on 28 Aug.
- Italtile CTM Gala Dinner at Theatre On The Track on 11 Sep.
- Innibosfees in Nelspruit with Joseph Clark & Mona Botha on 24, 25, 26 Sep.
- Service Performance Awards & Goodwill Dinner Steve Biko Hospital ON 26 Sep.
- ESKOM Gala Dinner in Ermelo on 23 Oct.
- Community Aids Response Gala Dinner in Johannesburg on 27 Oct.
- With Joseph Clark in European Kaleidoscope for Deutsche Afrika Linien in Cape Town and in Johannesburg.
- African Crossing for Oneness Summit at Freedom Park Amphitheatre.
- Charity performance for the Guide Dogs Association of South Africa.
- Guest artists with Joseph Clark The Music of Queen for NOSHCON.
- Performance of the original "soccer song" The Beautiful Game for the German Soccer Association and SA Tourism in Düsseldorf, Germany.
- Singing the South African Anthem before the friendly soccer match (South Africa vs. Germany) in Leverkusen, Germany.
- African Crossing with Joseph Clark at die Kuierfees in Upington.
- Every Sunday in October - Joseph Clark & The Gaabo Motho Tenors at The Performer Theatre, Pretoria.
- Guest Artists at the Special Star Awards of The South African Council Of Shopping Centres in Cape Town
- Carols by Candlelight for SA Guide Dog Association at the Guide Dog Training Centre, Wroxham Road, Bryanston, Johannesburg
- Centurion Theatre, Pretoria.
- Guest artists with Joseph Clark's Valentine's Show at The Centurion Theatre.
- Life Line Concert with the Johannesburg Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Richard Cock at The Linder Auditorium.
- For ABSA at The Emerald Casino, Vereeniging.
- Concert with Joseph Clark for DAL at The Country Club Johannesburg.
- 50-Year Celebration for the US Embassy, Pretoria.
- Concert for the Freedom Day Celebrations of the High Commission in Kampala, Uganda.
- Stokvel Corporate in Alberton.
- The International Business Conference at The Hall of Treasures at Sun City.
- Concert for Prof Rosemary Gray UNISA at The Musaion, UP.
- Two performances with Joseph Clark for DAL in Hamburg, Germany.
- Various concerts for Gov. Tito Mbweni at The Reserve Bank, Pretoria.
- Performance with Joseph Clark - The Music of Queen for IRF in Durban.
- Performance at Vodaworld with conductor Richard Cock.
- Two performances of African Crossing with Joseph Clark at The Aula.
- Opening of first Township Amphitheatre with above show.
- Guests artists with Joseph Clark at Abrham Kriel's Stars for Charity at Emperor's Palace.
- RMB's Starlight Classics, Johannesburg.
- Performance with Yollandi Nortjie for ITAC at the CSIR.
- Performing for the Dept. of Environmental Affairs at Emperor's Palace.
- Performing for Tshwane University of Technology at The Performer Theatre.
- Carols by Candlelight at The Performer Theatre, Pretoria.
- Valentine's Performance at UNISA.
- With Dewald von Solms at The Menlyn Shopping Centre, Pretoria.
- Whiteriver Barnyard with Dewald von Solms.
- The Mayor of Tshwane's gala dinner.
- Truck Centre in Germiston.
- Municipality of Tshwane at The Union Buildings, Pretoria.
- Sappi International at the Sandton Convention Centre.
- Pavarotti Tribute for the Italian Embassy.
- Careways Group at the Gallagher Estate.
- Christmas show at The Crystal Court at The Palace in Sun City (with Joseph Clark as guest artist).
A bit about African Crossing
African Crossing is an eclectic mix of opera, indigenous African, pop and rock. The Gaabo Motho Tenors have been performing with rock singer Joseph Clark, soprano Yollandi Nortjie and the vibrant, traditional dancing and voices of Amakhono We Sinto on numerous occasions over the past few years. This awesomely talented 12-piece cast performs songs like Granada, All For Love, Circle of Life, O mio babbino caro, Live Like Horses, Barcelona, Can You Feel The Love Tonight, Nella fantasia, African Dream, A Whole Lotta Love, Habanera, Nessun dorma, Funniculi funnicula, The Crossing and of course the traditional classics Shosholoza and the Click Song.
The show found its origins in a corporate concert that the group performed for DAL in Cape Town and Johannesburg. It was so well received that the company invited them to do two more performances of African Crossing for the DAL headquarters in Hamburg.
In August 2008 African Crossing was an integral part of the 'Crossing Africa for Charity' fundraiser held at the Aula in Pretoria in aid of the Abraham Kriel Childcare and the Jakaranda- and Louis Botha Children's Homes. The following month, the show opened the very first Township Amphitheatre in Elandsdoorn, South Africa. Among the guests was the CEO of the Ndlovu Care Group, Hugo A Tempelman MD, MA (visiting Professor from Utrecht University, The Netherlands).
On the 18th of April 2009 African Crossing was the main entertainment at The Oneness Summit 2009 - Awakening the Spirit of uBuntu at Freedom Park in Pretoria, where Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu accepted Humanity's Team Global Spiritual Leadership Award. And in September 2009 the show was one of the main attractions on the main stage at the Kalahari Festival in Upington.
About the other artists in African Crossing
Amakhono We Sintu was established in January 1997 by matriculants from various schools in Alexandra Township. It is a performing art organisation, which seeks to develop the whole person for life, take youth out of crime, and instil awareness of HIV/AIDS and to educate people through performing arts. Amakhono we Sintu have shared the stage with some of the world's greatest musicians like Moses Molelekwa, Hugh Masekela, the late Jabu Khanyile, Vusi Mahlasela, Busi Mhlongo, Ismeal Lo, Dianne Reeves and the Art ensemble of Africa. In 2000 some of the Amakhono We Sintu members were involved in a first interactive Musical show in the world Drum Struck NY, Umoja the Spirit of togetherness and Gumboots. Mandla Ntombela, Joseph Tjao, Themba Kubheka, Promise Dlamini, Mandlenkosi Mthalane and Simphiwe Libazi are proud to be part of African Crossing.
Yollandi Nortjie was born in Kimberley. In 2002 she joined the Opera School at the Tshwane University of Technology. In 2003 she won a scholarship to attend master classes in Berlin and performed at a gala concert at the Opern Palais. In 2004 she reached the semi-finals of the First Unisa National Voice Competition and won the Jury Discretionary Prize. In the same year she was one of four soloists to sing at the Antarctic Summit at the Cape Town International Conference Centre, and she performed as a soloist at the Oliver Tambo Tribute held by the Steve Biko foundation at Sandton Convention Centre. In 2005 she appeared as a guest artist at the Young Artist Programme (YAP) competition. She joined The Black Tie Ensemble from 2006 till 2008. Yollandi is also part of a female Soprano Trio called Velvet Sopranos.
Joseph Clark, with his extensive ballet and musical theatre background is a sought-after artist for corporate entertainment in South Africa. He is a favourite soloist with major symphony orchestras all over and some of his most notable performances include Pops Concerts, Miss SA Pageant, the International AIDS Conference and Nelson Mandela's 85th Birthday Celebration.
In 2004 he toured Italy and Germany singing the music of QUEEN. Joseph refers to himself as an "American African", being born and raised in Amarillo, Texas and brought to South Africa in 1983 to dance the leading roles in Swan Lake, Papillion, Romeo & Juliet and Witchboy. In 1987 he started his musical theatre career in the national touring production of Singing In The Rain. Other highlights include the leading roles in The Buddy Holly Story, West Side Story, The Fantasticks, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Little Shop Of Horrors, Joseph And His Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat, Sweeney Todd, March Of The Falsettos / Falsettoland, QUEEN At The Opera, etc. In 2000, he was nominated as best actor in a comedy for the one-man-play The Male Intellect an oxymoron? making him the only performer in South Africa to have been nominated and receiving awards for acting, singing and dancing.
In September 2009 he joined the NNO (Northern Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra) with Syb van der Ploeg (from the band "de Kast") in 5 concerts of Queen's music, conducted by Dirk Brossè.
Joseph thoroughly enjoys his collaboration with the Gaabo Motho Tenors. "They are my brothers and I love them all!"
Song List of African Crossing
- Dance Numer Amakhono We Sintu
- Shosholoza Gaabo Motho Tenors & Amakhono We Sintu
- Can You Feel The Love Tonight Joseph Clark & Gaabo Motho Tenors
- All For Love Gaabo Motho Tenors
- Granada Phenye Modiane & Mmusi Morekhure
- O Mio Babbino Yollandi Nortjie
- Vivere Gaabo Motho Tenors & Joseph Clark
- Dance Number Amakhono We Sintu
- African Dream Simphiwe Libazi, Joseph Clark & Amakhono We Sintu
- Una Furtiva Lagrima Thabiso Masemene
- Nella Fantasia Gaabo Motho Tenors & Mandlenkosi Mthalane
- Live Like Horses Mmusi Morekhure & Joseph Clark
- Feeling Good Joseph Clark & Gaabo Motho Tenors
- Habanera Yollandi Nortjie & Gaabo Motho Tenors
- Whole Lotta Love Joseph Clark & Gaabo Motho Tenors
- Vesti la /It's A Hard Life Tebogo Makgwe & Joseph Clark
- Click Song Yollandi Nortjie, Gaabo Motho Tenors & Amakhono We Sintu
- A Ca pella Song Amakhono We Sintu
- Ntjilo Ntjilo / Al Lê De Berge Nog So Blou Gaabo Motho Tenors
- Circle of Life Gaabo Motho Tenors & Amakhono We Sintu
- Barcelona Joseph Clark & Yollandi Nortjie
- Nessun dorma Gaabo Motho Tenors
- The Crossing ALL